Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Steve is gone

Steve visited the dock for the next two days,...then disappeared.

Two days after his disappearance it became crystal-clear what his job had been,...that he indeed was the "Door-Man"
The dock has been packed with all kinds of crazy Iguanas I have never seen before, large and small.


 I have lost a friend, this little being with whom I fed and interacted with for years,...he would crawl right up on your lap and allow you to pet him even after he had eaten, i.e. it wasn't just food-motivation.


To be killed in such a way, by a neighbor,..a neighbor  I actually like,...is really though for me.
I can't say anything,....for I would look crazy, the majority of people want them gone, they view me as some crazy old cat-women/man who feeds un-indigenous garden-eating rats.

Steve was the only iguana to ever come up to the house, go up the stairs, and,... with three barking dogs inside, (their natural enemy) scratch on the sliding glass door to be fed.

I am truly already missing this animal.
Rest In Peace  little buddy

3 comments:

  1. Glad I could say goodbye to Steve...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another sad chapter in The Iguana Stories. I'm so sorry, Dave. That he sought refuge on a dock, your dock, was a gesture of his faith in our species til the end and that he trusted you above all else. How many iguanas get to live on in spirit on a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - do not let the lowest common denominator of human behavior, which candidly seems to flourish in the Keys (the climate is conducive it appears) among certain of your neighbors, ever dissuade you. Humans need more things to aspire to and not more low-hanging fruit off of which to hit our oversized heads.

    You keep on doing what you are doing. Steve needed you. Carl needs you. Hell, those of us of the human persuasion likely need you far more than they do.

    ReplyDelete