Sunday, May 13, 2012

David and Goliath

So one day last week with coffee in hand I'm down am the dock putting out some Mustard greens, and Romaine for the gang, when I feel as though I'm being watched,..but there are no people or iguanas to be seen.
I went about my business, and as I was hosing off part of the dock, I noticed something large under the floating Jet-dock.

We have many different species of fish that visit the dock, some are regulars and then there are the animals that you only see once in awhile.

There have always been grouper in our canal,.. I have seen plenty of; Black Grouper, Gag Grouper, and small Jew Fish, a.k.a."Goliath Grouper",...but well,...pardon my language on the video,..I was taken back, when I looked under the dock to see a 4'+, (four foot plus) Jew-fish staring up at me.

By the time I wrestled my phone from my  phone from my pocket,..he dropped/descended to the depth filmed, witch is about 9', (nine feet) below the dock.
When I first noticed him, (just moments before I got the camera rolling) he was close to the surface, just a foot below the dock.


I never entertained this thought/scenario until this experience, but I'm sure a grouper of this size, (or even smaller) could, (and most likely would) power-down, (in a split-second) a small iguana as they  swim through the shared water-ways, traveling from point A to point B.

No comments:

Post a Comment