Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dock activity

It is just so different since Steve's departure,...the whole "face" of the slaughter has changed,..I recognize less than half the lizards on the dock at any given time.

Carl (#1),  Ned (#2), Blue,  Scott, Stubby, and Scott's almost identical twin; "Small-Spine" are the only regulars I know,....Carl and Ned being the only larger Iguanas, over three years old.

Scott; and Blue were just a hatch-lings in 2010,..and "yearlings" last season, (2011),... both seem to have grown and made there way into the ranks this year,..I want to say the two are non-violently vying for the new #3 slot,...(Steve's position for years).


Scott 



Blue




There are many new members of the dock clan, that I wouldn't/couldn't really refer to as even a fringe lizard that moved in slowly,..these guys just arrived out of nowhere and became regulars over-night.

Most are "yearlings",...but the most amazing part is that most of these young Iguanas,  even Blue and Scott, Scott's brother,.. are exhibiting stripe patterns that are smooth, straight and vertical and   become "squiggly"/ irregular in the upper half of the body.

It was the day I noticed this last week that "Dotty" showed up out of nowhere after a long disappearance.




She was Gravid.

it was at this point I had the epiphany/came to the conclusion, that I was surrounded 
 by Steve and Dotty's children.


Almost all have the physical characteristics/markings, irregular vertical stripes from Steve, and small "stipple"-like  dot patterns of  Dotty.


....almost all, there is one new yearling ,...only one,.. that does not fit this description,... at all.
He/she has "Olive" colored skin, no pattern at all above mid-body. 

I must assume this new little regular is Carl's kid.


Left; the single "yearling" bearing  Carl's color+ pattern


I am hoping the absence of Lady is simply due to her borrow-digging and egg-laying procedures/activities,.... however It has been about a month since I have last seen her.

At this point in time,...Carl is not only the King, but as far as my relationship with them goes,..he is the only "hand-feeder" left of the original 3 in the header photo.

recent activity note; Carl is NOT tolerating Ned as #2,...the single day I witnessed them seemingly getting along must have been a fluke.

Carl is actually spending hours at the dock,..it is apparent he is occupying  the  #1, AND #2 positions,...like a full-back covering the goal keeper, or vice-versa.

 My infant/toddler son has been joining me for my observation sessions,... is starting to really notice them,... gets very excited, (starts to laugh and giggle) when we go down to the dock.



My 5.5 month old son Indy, with Carl in background
Carl is done eating for the day and is about to jump in the water and swim to the dock,, (pictured in bkrnd) first,.. will then make his way via branch-to-branch climb/jumping to the top of his Australian pine, (also in the pic) to roost.
his daily journey is just over 100 yards, (a football field), each way.













1 comment:

  1. What was I doing that I missed this for almost a week! I'm a dolt. This is great stuff Dave. Carl a dad? Congrats.

    I love the look on Indy's face sitting there with his Pops scoping out the world of the iguana.

    ReplyDelete