Wednesday, March 14, 2012

...and it begins 3.14.2012

RETURN OF THE IGUANA

I'd been pondering a blog/online"Dock-Diary" about the the Iguanas, my life with them, and other wildlife, (humans included) for some time,...years in fact.
Thought I may get to it during this 2011/2012 winter, while the "Slaughter" went into there "Thermo-regulated, semi-hibernation".
(Not a true hibernation, but a seasonal  "slow-down" due to the winter, (November-March) low temperatures).
Just kept putting it off,... last until last Monday, (March 5th 2012).
It was the "kick-off" of the 2012 season, and I wasn't prepared,..I wanted the Dock-Diary to be in place prior to.


Went to the dock Monday morning, as I do everyday, and to my pleasant surprise,...Lady,...my first "regular" to return to the dock since Thanksgiving was sun-bathing in her usual spot.

Did not have my phone/camera:  photo; last summer 2011.



Lady originally showed up at the dock during a strange time of year, (mid-summer) 2007, just a few months after Handsome Steve and Carl made their first appearance.


                                                Handsome Steve, (left), and Carl, (right)


These three iguanas eat out of my hand, jump up into my lap, and/or allow me to hold them, for short periods....most others jump into the water, if you come within 20 feet, and swim to safety.



I use the word "my"  in the sentence "my first regular" not to delineate ownership, but in the way a bartender would refer to his customers, these are wild animals that simply associate my presence, and property as a "free lunch".
I like to think there is more to it, especially with the three above.

Tuesday, (3.6.2012) head of  Romain in hand,   on my way to the dock, (excited due to Lady sighting) I looked down from my deck, ...I could recognize the siluet of this animal from a mile away,...it was "Handsome Steve" the oldest regular I know,..I have interacted with, fed, and some days simply "hung-out" with this Iguana for over 5 years to-date.


As I approached , I immediately noticed differences,..Steve had been morphing into the colors of  "Beta Male", his festive name-sake colors and pattern, have faded into a muted army green, and orange has begun to creep into his color scheme.

As Carl had done for  years as  Beta, Steve will most likely claim the thrown of second in command,...the picnic table.



Wednesday; (3.7.2012)
"Nedrick" returned,...Ned/Rick is another Beta Male, and could be second (or third) to the thrown,... does not roost with the majority, he and "Dotty" roost separate from the slaughter to the west, (to the right as you face the water) in a small cluster of Buttonwood Trees.


Thursday; (3.8.2012)
Dotty returned,..... much larger.... she has changed from a large hatch-ling to an adolescent iguana over the winter months.





Friday, (3.9.2012)
 "Blue" returned,...again, like Dotty,... noticeably larger for being gone only 3 months.



For the next three days, (Sat the 10th-12th) the dock was visited by each of these iguanas, individually and in combinations, until yesterday,, (Tuesday the 13th)...a  hatching we called "Todd" who showed up late last year, (September-November), appeared exhibiting the largest growth-spurt I have ever observed.


Todd has exhibited the same "lack of fear", (of humans),..or food-motivation that out-weighs fear as Steve, Carl, and Lady,...I hand fed him once the end of last season. 

Today, we only saw Steve and Dotty, both stayed the whole day.
My wife, newborn son, and I sat with them for a long time,...it  was the first time my 4-month old had seen these animals,...his eyes were wide with amazement.



Carl has yet to come down from his roost.
He will be the last to arrive because of his new role as Alpha Male.
He has a job to do,... watching over and defending his end of the canal, his territory,...keeping the fringe "outsider iguanas" away from his women, feeding grounds, and rest of the slaughter, even the other males of his group, ...he knows their rank and they his, so to be satellited by these large, (but lesser) males is simply extra protection.










No comments: