Thursday, March 22, 2012

March 21st


Wednesday March 21st 2012;
Yesterday was a strange day,
I had to run into the "Adult Disney-Land for alcoholics " that is Key West Florida to pick up some supplies.
The thoughts and mind-set of collage days so far in my wake,...I Completely forget about Spring-Break.

I returned from a 4-hour trip that would normally have taken about an hour, after greeting my three girls, (Yellow Labs), human wife and son,..I headed to the dock.
 From my house I could see Dotty, Steve, and an adolescent near black Iguana with spines oriented "straight -up", (not "bending-back" or curving toward the tail as most other iguanas exhibit). 

Although I had not seen this animal for over 6 months,...I knew exactly who it was,...it was "Scott".
I had been thinking about him recently and wondering if I would ever see him again, Scott left sometime mid-last summer, was  MIA come fall, I feared he had been eaten by a Hawk, or met some other horrible demise.
He is larger, and will most likely exhibit a noticeable growth-spurt this summer

Scott's return 2012
I was happy to see this little lizard.

About an hour later I went back down and again, from a distance could see a larger Iguana I hadn't seen before.

Dotty,Scott, and Blue were there, no sign of Steve,..and this strange new Iguana was dropping it's dewlap, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewlap) and head-bobbing at Dotty and Blue.



This Is a strangely patterned animal, almost looks related to Carl, however I believe this to be a larger, female.
If she decides to stick around...could mean trouble for a few of the smaller iguanas.


Blue is in the foreground and the new stranger, (fringe Iguana) in back with dewlap extended,..she was "bobbing" at Blue, then charged him/her, (I am not sure of  Blue's sex).



In all of my years observing these lizards, I can tell you one thing,... there is nothing more aggressive as a large female, males will put on elaborate displays changing color, puffing-up and bobbing their heads, etc,..but will rarely, attack and bite like a female.
The girls give a quick warning and then charge with intent to do harm.


It will be interesting to see if she comes back to the dock today.


No comments:

Post a Comment